24.4.10

Cinco De Mayo Dress

Cinco De Mayo is right around the corner and I'm thinking of having a little fiesta! :)
I had this spare twin size red sheet and thought it would be fun to make my daughters a skirt to celebrate. After making the skirts, I figured they'd need a shirt to go along with that..... And why not a little hair flower....Man lol.
The great part is this is SOOOOOOO simple!!!!





I measured my daughter from the waist to her heel (she's 20in)
I fold the sheet in half, length wise (hot dog style)
I measured and cut (length wise) 20in (since it's a sheet you're using, one side is already hemmed! Yea!)
I trimmed (already hemmed side) with ribbon
I did a ruffle seam on the opposite side (cut edge), and pulled for a light ruffle.
I measured my daughter's waist (she's 18in)
I cut elastic 18in
I then made a waist-band 4in wide and 19in length (I added 1in to her waist measurement)
I fold the waist band right side in and sewed length wise, turned right side out, thread the elastic through, based the edge with the elastic hanging out 1/4in
I then sewed the band to the ruffled edge of the skirt (length wise)
Lastly, put the two lengths sides together (right side in) and sew from top to bottom
Turn right side out and you're done!

For the Shirt, I just took a white under shirt (T-Shirt) and attached my ruffle from shoulder hem to opposite shoulder hem.

For the flower, I took my ruffle, and in a circular motion, attached it to a piece of interfacing. Adding a clip to the back

*It sounds more complicated then it really is...so....I'm going to be making a picture tutorial when I make my other daughter's. Check back soon!

I'm linking this project to:


And WHATEVER GOES WEDNESDAY at Someday Crafts


Join us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap up party!
Keeping It Simple



4 comments:

  1. Audra, that is just tooo darling! I love it!
    I will be featuring it next week for Rave Reviews Wednesday at Sweet Pickles and Chocolate. Please visit next Wed and grab the rave reviews button for your blog!

    Dena
    Sweet Pickles and Chocolate

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just darling - and out of a sheet?! Love it. Thanks for linking this up today as well!

    Chelsea

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!! That is gorgeous and she is a doll!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clever! And what a doll your daughter is!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails