9.7.10

Baby Wipe Fabric Cover

update: Go here for the new version of this baby wipe fabric cover and free printable pattern


So, I love having washable items, especially when it comes to baby items. I also LOVE those baby wipe covers (Huggies wipe case wrapped in fabric) BUT, there are two things that I wanted to improve for ME: 1) make it washable, 2) make it open on the top to pull out one wipe at a time (with one-hand)... SO, I decide to come up with my own pattern (since I could find one on the Internet).

The first one I made came out soo bad, but the idea was right on. Here's a picture of it.

I wish it came out good because I liked the color combination. Here were the things wrong. 1) it wasn't sewn well (I cut all the piece without a pattern or without measuring my cuts; Stupid thing to do), 2) The fabric got wet around the opening (I put the lining in the middle of fabric thinking it would look prettier---but it wasn't practical), 3) The magnet was a good idea, but it wasn't holding as well as I would like them too.

SO...
Here's how I made the good one:

  • I finally sat down and drew up a pattern (making sure I measured everything twice!)

  • I washed, dried, ironed, traced the pattern and cut the fabric:
Diaper case:
window cover:

  • I ironed the window flaps down to make a clean edge:

  • Trace the pattern and cut out the lining:

  • Make an opening (for the window) by folding the lining in half and snipping it:

-Sew the window cover first:

  • If you want a design on the front, you would add it now... I did:

  • With the fabric rights sides together, I sandwiched the lining and sewed on three sides.

  • I turned the window cover right side out with lining showing on back and sewed remaining side:

  • Then I sewed it over the window of the wipe cover (on same side--the top):

-Sew together the wipe cover:

  • I folded lining 2" over bottom cover and sewed across:

  • With wrong sides together, I then sewed lining and fabric all the way around:

  • Then sewn around the window (lining and fabric)

  • Fold fabric, right sides together up to make an envelope. Sew on sides

  • Turn right side out and add snaps (1 to close window, 3 to close back opening)


  • Fill with wipes and your done!







12 comments:

  1. obrigada pelo carinho da visita, te espero mais vezes! Tenha um lindo fim de semana!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great (and darling!) idea! I am your newest follower :)

    www.paisleypassions.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! I just wish I still used baby wipes (never thought I'd say that). Thanks for including a tutorial. Maybe I'll be invited to a baby shower soon so I can give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cute. I love the fabrics you used. I have so many friends having babies soon...this is a perfect shower present!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a great idea, i was going to give up my wipe case (that i covered in fabric) for the same reasons...I might have to try this though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a great idea - if only I still had wipe cases around! I do miss those days (well at least sometimes!). Thanks for linking up to Be Inspired this month.

    Chelsea

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so adorable! I totally want one of these now! This is the cutest one I've ever seen! I'll need to put it on my to do list.

    Thanks so much for linking up!

    Please stop by for another link party Friday! Also, I will be having a giveaway on Friday too!

    Ashley
    www.simplydesigning.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. How cute! What a great idea and great improvements.
    -Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  9. You must have read my mind. I was just thinking I need to make something to cover this thing!Thank you, thank you for making this so easy for me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. HI! I just came across your cute blog and I was wondering if you would be interested in being a guest blogger over at Or So She Says....(www.oneshetwoshe.com) If you are interested, email Jessica at ladies@oneshetwoshe.com
    We'd love to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What were the measurements you used to make this?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails