6.5.10

Diaper Covers... Just In Time For The Hot Summers!



I made these cute little diaper covers because my babies tend to live in just diapers during the summer.
I also was looking into cloth diapers since my littlest one seems to be allergic to the diapers she's wearing... But I don't know if I'm brave enough to do that, so I thought I would try with these first before I invest my money and time; if it doesn't work out, it will simply be put on top of their diaper, cute either way :)

Here's how I made these two:


First you'll need to print off this free pattern from Studio Tuumat design factory. Then you'll need your supplies which are: (for one) 1 yard of main fabric, 1/8 yard of accent fabric, waterproof lining (if you want), 1/4in elastic, snaps, (I also used buttons from my stash)

Cut your material:
2-main fabric cut
1-lining cut
2- 43 1/2'X 3' accent pieces
2-16 1/2'X3' accent pieces
2- 1/4' elastic pieces cut 5' long
1- 1/4' elastic cut 4 1/2' long


Make the ruffles or pleats with the accent fabric cuts
In this case, the ruffles: Take the 2 longest ruffle cuts and pin to one of the main fabric cuts.


Base stitch and repeat to the other side.

Take the left over ruffles and pin on the bottom (the bigger side) area of the same main fabric cut.
 

Add buttons or other decals at this stage... Still on the same main fabric cut.


Put right sides together and sew all the way around leaving a 10' opening at the top front (not the bottom front...hope that makes sense... so not the butt side but the front side)

(This is a picture showing the right sides together with the ruffles stuff inside...very important!)

Sew on your elastic (the pattern shows were this goes)

(I sew my elastic on by pulling it as I go)


Flip inside out.


Pin and sew the opening close


Add your snaps (or velcro to a size that will fit your baby comfortably---I did several snaps so they can fit her longer)
You're done.... If anything, just follow the directions on the pattern, and add the foo foo stuff that you wish, that's what I did :)

I'm linking this to:

Photobucket 


5 comments:

  1. Where did you get your waterproof lining? Is it PUL?

    Thanks for the great idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's just thin vinyl form the spool at JoAnn's.

    Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These ARE awesome! I want to make some for my kids! I am featuring them at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. these are too cute. I do use cloth diapers and love them. But there are times she is in disposable, so I will be making some of these.

    amy craftedbymama.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. They're great for cloth diapers as well.... They actually were meant for just cloth diapers but I use them over her disposable to make them leak free... LOVE them!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails